Saturday, April 25, 2009

Best Wife | Awesome Family

I just have to take a moment and brag to you about my wife Brooke. As many of you know, she had planned to spend time alongside me in Liberia on this trip, but due to the pregnancy she was unable to go. We are best friends, so being away from each other for even a week would have been difficult (we've only spend 3 days apart at one time since being married); 3 weeks is a lifetime.

It is going to be difficult on us, especially for my 19-week pregnant wife. Brooke has been very strong though.
All the supplies!
On Thursday, she found my packing list among my pile of paperwork, and she went to Wal-Mart and purchased EVERY single thing on the list. It's important to know though that this wasn't my personal packing list...it was one of those "you might need these things" kind of list. Needless to say, my wonderful bride purchased $300 worth of supplies for me! I have flashlights, batteries, medication, canned tuna (for protein), camping knives, etc. It looks like I'm going to backpack the Appalachian Trail. I guess when you are embarking on a 3-week trip to 3rd-world Africa living in the bush, it is a lot like backpacking! What a wonderful surprise....my packing is now 80% done! Look at ALL the stuff Brooke got for my trip!

---------------

An additional surprise: Last night Brooke, along with her dad and stepmom, planned and hosted little going-away cookout for me with family and friends.

There were even cowboys and cowgirls at my farewell cookout!
What a neat time! We had all sorts of good food, but the best part was when my father-in-law Rick gathered the family around for a time of prayer and commissioning. It is a practice within the Christian community to "commission" someone before they leave to do mission work. Rick setup the moment by talking about his experience in missions, then he and the entire group gathered around me, layed hands on me, and prayed for my time in Africa. It was exactly what I needed. Up to this point, I haven't perceived many folks interested that I'm traveling to a country with no power grid to live in an orphanage in the Liberian wilderness for 3 weeks to serve the orphans and the community. Last night though, there was a lot of conversation, questions and answers, and the beautiful time of prayer. I feel much more prepared to travel now. HUGE thank you to the Richardsons, Crockers, and Giambrones for making the evening special for me.

Love,
josh

2 comments:

  1. I cried throughout this whole post! Ha maybe its partly the pregnancy, but this is so sweet! I am praying for you and Brooke as you get ready to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ashley. Y'all take care of Brooke for me!

    ReplyDelete